POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's here! : Re: PART 2 Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:08:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PART 2
From: Invisible
Date: 7 Nov 2008 05:07:16
Message: <49141354$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Also, the camera seems to need to be a ridiculous distance away to get
>> everything in the frame. Is this normal?
>
> My camera (it's an old Canon one with mini-DV tape) has a little
> screw-on lens adapter to give a wider field of view, without it you
> can't get much in the frame.

Yeah, well... my camera is clearly designed for portability, not quality.

>>> Hehe, sounds like that could get expensive :-)  For a start, where to
>>> place the microphoneS?
>>
>> It's a PIPE ORGAN. I'll just put the mic on the floor at the other end
>> of the building or something! ;-)
>>
>> In seriousness... I understand loud, pure sinusiodal tones (e.g.,
>> flute) are notoriously difficult to record. (Or so my dad claims.)
>
> I would imagine you would get quite a different recorded sound depending
> on where exactly you put the microphones.

Actually, some of my videos do sound far better than others, depending
on where my dad is standing.

> As a
> first guess I would say the organ pipes were designed so that the usual
> audience in the church would hear the highest quality sound, so just
> sticking the microphones down there would likely be a good start.

Trouble is, the audience seating is exactly behind me, so all you'd see
is my back. But if I'm using a seperate microphone, that shouldn't be
too bad. Actually the organ sounds OK from where I'm sitting (although
most of the sound goes over my head - can you see where the pipes are?)
The only trouble with that is that the manuals make quite a clattering.
I have to open up quite a few stops to drown that out!

>> Of course, the fun part is synchronising picture to sound...
>
> That's what clapperboards are for :-)

O RLY? :-P

Can I just maybe clap my hands together? That would work!

(I'm still trying to figure out why I had to manually adjust the
synchronisation on some of the videos taken with my camera using its
internal mic... like, WTF? It was 400 ms out!)